Congratulations on your new puppy! Now I’m guessing you need a teething toy and you need it now. If you’ve decided to get a puppy, one thing you might not be prepared for is teething. Puppies get baby teeth just like human babies and it makes them equally as uncomfortable. Find some toys to help your dog through these tough months!
Puppy Teething Time Line
If your dog is having a litter the puppies will get baby teeth first within weeks. You typically don’t get to take home puppies until they’re 8 to 12 weeks old from breeders and shelters. By this time your puppies baby teeth will start to fall out to make way for adult teeth.
Weeks 2 to 4
The puppy will still be nursing at this point. It will start to get it’s baby teeth and open it’s eyes!
Weeks 5 to 6
At this point all of your puppies baby teeth have come in. Your puppy will be weening off it’s mom and starting to eat soft foods.
Weeks 12 to 16
This is the point when baby teeth start to fall out and new adult teeth will start to grow in. Your dog will be teething a lot at this point. It will be looking for gum soothing toys and other things to chew on. Make sure to give them a toy so they don’t pick other things.
At this time dogs learn social behaviors around biting. Playing with them and getting them used to having you touch their teeth makes it easier later when brushing.
To be honest, things like tennis balls and many DIY dog toys are not right for a puppy’s soft mouth. If you have a teething puppy but aren’t sure what toys are best for teething, try one of these 5 must-have toys for growing puppies:
1. KONG Puppy Toy
- Appropriate Chewing: The KONG Puppy soft rubber formula is customized for a growing puppy's baby teeth and gums. This gentle, but long-lasting toy helps satisfy instinctual needs and provides mental stimulation. By encouraging healthy play and satisfying instinctual needs, this treat-dispensing puzzle toy helps solve chewing, separation anxiety, teething, boredom, weight management, crate training, digging and barking.
- Fetch Toy: The KONG Puppy's unpredictable bounce makes for exciting games of fetch and other interactive play with your pet. This is a fun way for beginning chewers to get the exercise they need and expend excess energy.
KONG is a very popular brand recommended by vets and dog trainers. The puppy version of their KONG toy is made of soft rubber and is made for young puppies up to 9 months old.
These KONG toys are designed to be stuffed with treats to teach your puppy good chewing habits. The idea is that if your puppy chews his KONG and gets a treat, he’ll prefer to continue chewing on his KONG rather than your furniture or shoes.
By providing your puppy with positive reinforcement, you’ll not only give him an alternative to chew on, you will actually be teaching him what is safe to chew on. Use this toy to help with crate training to help you pup relax or even as a way to help him cope with separation anxiety. The soft rubber of these KONG toys is designed for teething puppies—it is virtually indestructible for a puppy, regardless of a powerful bite and is a great way to start early teaching proper habits.
2. Mammoth Flossy Chews Cotton Blend Color 3-Knot Rope Tug
- INTERACTIVE FUN: Designed for playing tug of war with dogs, this knotted rope dog toy is perfect for tossing, catching and pulling during interactive play, or as a dog chew toy for solo play time.
- SAFE & NON-TOXIC: Made from premium North American Cotton-Poly yarns finished with sturdy knots, these Mammoth colorful dog pull toys are safe, durable and tough toys for dogs.
Rope toys are great and really effective, but there are some things to look out for. You have to make sure that you’re getting a high-quality toy that isn’t going to break or shed so that your puppy can swallow them. If he swallows enough, a blockage in the intestines can form.
While these are great to play tug of war with, you shouldn’t do so with your puppy until your puppy is a little bigger so you don’t risk damaging his teeth as they grow. In the meantime, this makes a great chew toy for your teething puppy.
You can even soak it in water and freeze it to give your little one a bit of extra relief. The Mammoth Flossy Chews Cotton Blend Color 3-Knot Rope Tug is particularly durable and will withstand a lot of chewing. When your pup gets only enough to tug, the three knots give you a lot of room to avoid a potential nip from your overexcited dog.
3. Nylabone Puppy Starter Packs Chew Toys
- MADE IN THE USA – Dog chew toy is proudly made in the United States
- TEETHING PUPPY BONES: Gentle puppy chew toys that ease pain during the teething stage
Nylabone Puppy Starter packs come in a variety of shapes: Dinosaurs, keys, bones, pacifiers, and the star/moon ring pictured here. While there’s a variety to choose from, the all provide the same comfort to your teething fur baby.
These chew toys have raised bristles to help clean the teeth that they do have and stimulate the gums. They also make the toy a little more effective at relieving discomfort from teething because they offer a massaging motion to the gums.
Nylabone has been making pet products since 1955. Part of the reason they have so many varieties available is that they know that all dogs are different. These toys are affordable enough that you can easily replace one if your puppy doesn’t take to it.
Make sure you keep an eye on your puppy when chewing on these or any other toy. Chew toys such as this are not meant to be eaten or digested. Once your puppy’s Nylabone begins to show wear or if pieces start to come off, it’s time to take it away and replace it.
4. KONG Puppy Tires
- Teething Puppies: The natural KONG Puppy soft rubber formula is designed to ease puppy's baby teeth and gums.
- Great For Stuffing: The KONG Puppy Tire is even more enticing and mentally stimulating when stuffed with KONG Puppy Easy Treat, Puppy Snacks or peanut butter.
Another offering from KONG, the Puppy Tire is the puppy version of their popular adult dog chew toy. It uses exclusive rubber specially designed for teething puppies.
Place a treat in the inner track of the tire for an added bonus. Proving your puppy with a reward will help encourage proper chewing behaviors.
If you can train this into your dog when they’re a puppy, it will make it much easier on you, your furniture, and your shoes down the road as your puppy gets older. These Puppy Tires come in two different sizes, small and large.
They make great chewing toys or you can even use them to play fetch if you want to give your puppy a little more exercise. Some dog owners even get an extra small KONG Puppy Toy and stick it in the center to give you fur baby an extra challenge.
5. Nylabone Puppy Teethe ‘n’ Tug Dog Toy
- Interactive puppy tug toy that provides quality playtime and burns excess energy
- Gentle puppy chew toy with softer material for teething puppies
The Nylabone Puppy Teethe ‘n’ Tug Dog Toy is a great choice for your puppy for several reasons. The shape makes it easy for him to hold in his paws while he’s chewing.
It’s also shaped so that you can play a light game of tug of war with your pup without having to worry about getting a little nip. Playing with your new puppy will help create a bond between you. Plus, it provides a good opportunity for your pup to get some exercise.
This toy is made for gentle chewers and teething gums. The texture is ridged to provide some extra comfort to your pup while he chews. The material is non-edible and shouldn’t be swallowed so if you start to see wear and tear, it’s time to take it from your dog.
Now that your puppy teething issue is solved, try taking your dog to the dog park. Dig parks can be intimidating for dogs and owners alike. Take steps to prepare your puppy for it’s first dog park visit beforehand to make the first introduction less stressful. Click Here to Learn How!