Many pet owners may find purchasing dog stairs a funny idea, but they are practical and helpful to your furry friends. The best dog stairs are designed to assist your canine friend get around easily, especially if it is aging or suffering from conditions like elbow and hip dysplasia or arthritis. Some of the dog breeds that are prone to elbow and hip dysplasia and arthritis include Basset Hounds, French Bulldogs, Labrador retrievers, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers Rottweiler and German Shepherds.
Perfect for Smaller Breeds
The best dog steps are designed with tiny stairs to enable your pooch easy access to high places or furniture. This means that dog steps provide a perfect way to help smaller breeds like Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas and pugs access higher points. In addition, dog steps are also important to dog owners with breeds that are prone to joint issues as they help prevent the early onset of the conditions.
Because of this, we have reviewed a number of the top-rated dog stairs to save you from the hassle of looking for the perfect product for your canine friend. While compiling the list, we considered all the major factors in a product. These include ease of use, ease of storage, versatility, product’s safety, customer reviews, and visual appeal.
The 13 Best Dog Stairs and Steps
Our Top Pick
PetSafe Solvit Foldable Pet Stairs
- Continue cuddle time: Use the steps to help your best friend climb up on the sofa or bed all by themselves to improve quality time together
- Safety tested for durability: These durable steps are independently tested and rated to support pets up to 150 pounds
The PetSafe Foldable Pet Stairs is our top pick for the best dog stairs list. Actually, it is created by a renowned brand that is leading in the industry of manufacturing lifestyle and containment products. The product is made of plastic, making it extremely lightweight yet durable. This also makes it relatively affordable. With this said, the dog steps can support up to 150 lb.
Moreover, the pet stairs is designed to make pets feel secure and confident when using the tool to access higher points. The steps for dogs come with non-skid mats and built-in side rails for safety and ease of use. However, it is good to note that the pet stairs are ideal for smaller and medium-sized dogs.
- Lightweight and durable
- Steel and plastic construction
- Foldable design
- Easy storage
- High-traction stairs
- Ideal for small and medium-size pets
Our Runners Up Pick
Aeromark International Armarkat Pet Stairs for Dogs
- Covering Material: Faux Fleece
- Board Material: Pressed Wood
The Armaket Pet Stairs Ramp is a premium product from a brand that is renown in making quality pet beds. It features a cozy, unique and reliable design that makes it easy for pets to access all the high points. Even more, the dog steps ramp comes with a sturdy foundation and bases for extra support and durability.
With the years of experience in making pet beds, the brand only uses pet-friendly materials that are harmless to dogs.
- Reputable brand
- Uses pet-friendly materials
- Sturdy construction
- Washable and stain-resistant fabric
Best Budget Pick
Pet Gear Portable Easy Step II Dog Stairs
- Wider and deeper stair landings for small and large dogs; rubber grippers on bottom keep step secure and in place
- Carpet tread is removable for easy cleaning. Step height- 6 inch. Top step depth- 12.25 inch. 2nd step depth- 11.5 inch
If you are looking for an affordable but high-quality product, then the Pet Gear Easy Step might be the ideal choice for you. The dog steps come with a deeper and wider stair landing and are also designed with rubber grippers on the bottom that helps keep the stairs in place and secure for your canine friend.
Besides this, the stairs are easy to assemble, as there are no tools required. It is also designed with an incline, which enables dogs to reach high points easily. However, the doggie steps are ideal for small pets only that weight up to 50 pounds.
- Lightweight design
- Relatively affordable
- Easy assembly
- Comfortable and stable risers
- Elevated design
- Available in 3 color options
Best Foam Dog Stairs
Majestic Portable Soft Sherpa Foam Pet Steps
- Dimensions: 24" depth x 20" height x 16" width. Perfectly sized pet stairs for any sized pets that need a little boost to get on beds, sofas, chairs, etc.
- Ideal pet steps for senior, arthritic or recovering dog or cat. The pet step cushion will reduce the risk of injury in the case of weak legs or bones
As the name suggests, these are top-quality pet steps that offer great convenience to pets. With the unique design, the dog steps for bed is suitable for arthritic, aging, and recovering pets. Specifically, it has soft cushioning that helps protect dogs with weak bones or legs from injury. Moreover, the Majestic Dog Steps is made from durable fabric and includes a removable and machine-washable cover. It offers an excellent solution for small dogs or dogs with weak bones to be able to get to areas that require a bit of a climb.
- Sturdy foam construction
- Perfect for arthritic, aging, and recovering pets
- Durable fabric
- Machine-washable, removable cover
Best Pet Stairs for Senior Dogs
Dallas Manufacturing Co. Dog Steps with Non-Skid Bottom and Machine Washable Cover
- SAFE & STURDY: DuraCore technology is strong enough to hold 150 lbs. DuraCore technology is our unique cardboard configuration for an incredibly dense, but lightweight steps for dogs and cats
- PORTABLE: Light weight (under 6 pounds) and portable with convenient tote handle on back and a non-skid bottom to keep steps in place for easy pet access to high couches and beds
The Dallas Manufacturing Dog Steps feature a unique design and technology that makes it lightweight, but sturdy enough to support large dogs. With the DuraCore technology, the dog steps are easily movable and strong enough to support dogs weighing up to 150lbs. It also includes a non-skid bottom making it secure and safe for senior and recovering dogs to access high areas.
- Unique design and technology
- Machine washable cover
- Lightweight design
- Non-skid bottom
- Padded steps
Best Dog Steps for Bed
Best Pet Supplies CertiPUR-US Foam Steps
- Relieves Stress: Our stairs are the perfect accessory to help pets reach that high bed or couch! Available in 3-step, 4-step, and 5-step configurations to easily match your furniture’s height.
- Supports Pet Health: Made with mattress-grade cushioning to relieve pressure on paws and joints.
Best Pet Supplies continues to set the pace in making cozy, durable, and quality-certified foam products. Unsurprisingly, their dog steps are made from CertiPUR-US Certified foam without flame retardants, ozone depleters, lead, mercury and other harmful substances. It is also designed for stability as they offer great traction and sturdy construction.
- Designed for stability
- Free of harmful substances
- CertiPUR-US certified foam
- Machine washable ultra-soft cover
- Anti-slip bottom
Best Pet Stairs for Small Dogs
Pet Gear Foldable Easy Step III Pet Stairs
- Stair landing for small dogs, miniatures, and cats; not suitable for large pets
- Rubber grippers on bottom keep step secure and in place
This is another top-quality dog product from the renowned brand Pet Gear. Simply put, you should consider this if you are market for a premium product for small dogs. With the plastic stairs that include a non-slip surface, the doggie steps offer a safe and convenient option to help your dog access its bed. It is designed with three steps, which makes it ideal for tall beds or high points.
- L-shaped model for easier storage
- Non-slip surfaces
- Sturdy construction
- Rubber grippers
- Ideal for small dogs
- Snaps together easily
Best Steps for Large Dogs
Premier Raised 17-Inch Pet Steps
- Quality Kitchen Cabinet Raised Panel Design - Solid Red Oak Dog Steps provide your Pet with easy access and relieves stress on pet's Back and Joints
- Premier Pet Steps brings the Warmth and Feel of Real Solid Red Oak Wood into your Home - Superior Strength and Durability
If you are looking for raised pet steps that are sturdy enough to support large dog breeds, then Premier Raised Pet Steps is worth your consideration. With the unique design, the dog steps help relieve stress on the pet’s joints and back while providing easy access to high areas. It features solid red oak wood construction for extra strength and durability.
- Raised panel design
- Solid red oak wood construction
- Ideal height for dogs with limited mobility
- Sturdy and durable
- Supports up to 300lbs
Best Portable Dog Steps
PetMaker 3 Tier High-Density Foam Pet Stairs
- EASY TO CLEAN – The machine washable soft micro fiber cover is easy to remove and has a non-slip bottom and back. The foam insert can be spot cleaned or light vacuumed
- HIGH DENSITY FOAM – Our foam is sturdy, stable, durable and very comfortable for your pet. Our quality design is well balanced for traction and functionality
The PetMaker 3 Tier High-Density Foam Pet Stairs comes with a stable, sturdy, comfortable and durable construction. With the quality design, the dog steps are well balanced for both functionality and traction.
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to clean
- High density foam
- Suitable for smaller dogs
- Non-slip bottom
Best Dog Stairs for Car
UNINSO Lightweight Portable Foldable Car Dog Steps
Most pet lovers enjoy taking their dogs with them while traveling for vacations in their cars. If you are a dog owner who likes traveling with his or her dog, then UNINSO Lightweight Foldable Car Dog Steps is a perfect option for you. The dog steps are designed with a metal structure that can support up to 100 pounds. Besides, the pet stairs feature a unique design that makes it foldable and easy to carry.
- Safe and stable
- Easy to carry
- Ideal for various occasions
- Non-slip surface
Best Lightweight Pet Stairs
PetMaker Folding Plastic Dog Steps
- 3 STEP DOG STAIRS – The convenient 3 step design of the pet stairs makes it easy for your dog or cat to climb on and off furniture, or into and out of a vehicle with ease
- DURABLE AND EASY TO CLEAN – Made of tough and durable plastic, these dog or cat stairs are ideal for both indoor and outdoor use, can hold pets up to 40-pounds, and can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth and mild soap
The PetMaker Folding Plastic Pet Steps is a compact, lightweight and portable dog steps for both outdoor and indoor use. It also features a plastic, durable and easy to clean construction. It is recommended for smaller dogs that weigh up to 40 pounds.
- Portable, compact and lightweight
- Easy to clean
- Durable plastic construction
- Supports up to 40 pounds
Best Pet Steps for Medium Size Pets
West Ivory Portable Washable 4 Steps Dog Stairs
- To Help Your Pet Reach High Surface Safely, Ideal for Pickup Truck Back, Beds, Couches, Tables,
- Holds Small - Medium Size Pets up to 120lbs
This is a lightweight, portable and easily foldable dog stairs for indoor and outdoor use. It is easy to set up and access.
- Lightweight and portable
- Quick and foldable
- Ideal for outdoor and indoor
- Easy setup and access
- Ideal for medium size pets
Best Foldable Wooden Pet Steps
Arf Height Adjustable Stairs for dogs and cats
- Beautiful wood construction with rich espresso color, Suitable for small and Medium pets
- Height of the steps are adjustable between 21.5” and 25.5” high, and 17” Wide
The Arf Height Adjustable Pet Steps has an excellent wood construction and wonderful espresso color to match your home décor. With its unique design and durable fabric, these doggie steps are ideal for small and medium dogs.
- Excellent wood construction
- Durable fabric
- Supports over 100 lbs.
- Easy to use
- Height adjustable
Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Dog Stairs
The best dog stairs should come with several features that offer the much-needed support and convenience to your pets. Here we look at the things to consider when choosing the right dog stairs for your canine friend:
One of the most important features of your dog steps is stability. The best product should not wobble when your pet is using it as this would increase the risk of injury.
Safety is another important factor to put into consideration, especially if you want to buy it for arthritic, senior, or recovering dogs. Dog steps should be sturdy and have a non-skid surface.
If your dog needs steps to access its bed, then the chances are that it will need it when getting into your car or other high points as well. Therefore, it would be better to invest in lightweight pet stairs that are easily transportable.
Usually, most dogs are known to be careless when it comes to using their products. Thus, it is important to consider getting dog stairs that are made of durable materials.
As with any other product, the cost is an important factor when selecting the right product. With so many products available in the market, it is highly likely that you will get a product that fits your budget. However, avoid purchasing flimsy dog stairs just to save money as this might prove to be more costly in the long run.
Ease of Use
The best dog stairs should feature a unique design that makes it easy for your pup to use. Therefore, it is advisable to check the height and step depth, especially if you have a small dog. For dog owners with large dog breeds, the steps should not be too shallow.
Ease of Cleaning
Just like other dog products, the steps are likely to get very dirty, primarily if used outdoors. So, it is good to consider dog stairs made of stain-resistant materials and the ones with removable, washable covers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does my Dog Need Stairs?
Well, whether your pup needs stairs depends on various factors. First, high points such as a bed or sofa might be hard for your dog to access. In addition to this, small dogs also need stairs to access to some areas. Lastly, your dog will most likely require stairs if it is arthritic, in its senior years, or has other joint issues.
How do I Train My Dog to Use Doggie Stairs?
Teaching your dog to use stairs is a simple thing, but one that requires your patience. The first and obvious thing to do is to place the pet stairs in the area where your canine friend needs it. Leave the steps there for about two days to ensure that your dog gets used to it being there.
Some dogs might ignore the stairs for the first few days, but this should not worry or frustrate you because it is quite normal. Nevertheless, it is important to praise and treat your dog whenever it uses or approaches the stairs positively. Dogs that are used to using normal stairs use pet stairs naturally.
Dog stairs are undoubtedly important pet products that every serious dog owner should consider purchasing. Finding the best dog stairs might be a considerable challenge, especially with the number of steps in the market. However, we believe that with the products reviewed above and the guide, you can easily find a product that meets your requirements.